Douglas A-26 Invader and the 416th Bomb Group (Light)


The New England Air Museum is home to a memorial for the 416th Bomb Group (Light). The 416th flew the A-26 "Invader" in Europe during World War II.

The museum’s A-26, named the “Reida Rae,” flew with the 416th during World War II after it was given to the U.S. Air Force in 1944. The aircraft flew over thirty combat missions with the group. After changing hands and eventually being abandoned in Stratford, CT, the museum acquired the plane in 1971.

Restoration began in 2003. It was decided that the exhibits surrounding the aircraft would focus on the 416th Bomb Group (Light) and serve as a memorial to the group. Restoration was completed in 2012 under Crew Chief Carl Sgamboti. The New England Air Museum has hosted many reunions for the 416th veterans and their families, in which many of the original crew of the “Reida Rae” have been able to see the amazing restoration of the aircraft they flew all those years ago. NEAM docents love to tell the stories of the “Reida Rae,” and keep the history of the aircraft and the bomb group alive for the visitors that come through the museum.

Members of the 416th Bomb Group (Light) reunite for the A-26's dedication, 2011


 
 

Click HERE to learn more about the New England Air Museum's Douglas A-26C “Invader”


© New England Air Museum 2016-2021
36 Perimeter Rd., Windsor Locks, CT, 06096
860-623-3305