|Type:||9-cylinder, air-cooled, radial, piston|
|Displacement:||787 cu. in.|
|Power Output:||200 hp @ 1,800 rpm|
|Location:||Connector between the Military and Civil Hangars|
The J-1 was designed by Charles E. Lawrance in response to a request by the U.S. Navy for an air-cooled 200 hp engine for its new shipboard aircraft. Approximately 250 J-1's were produced and primarily used in the Navy Curtiss TS-1 fighter. This was the first successful fixed radial air-cooled engine to be produced in the U.S.
Lawrance Aero Engineering's limited production capacity motivated a merger, urged by the U.S. Navy, with the Wright Aeronautical to expedite the completion of the J-1 production orders. Wright's top team of George Mead and Andrew Willgoos initiated design refinements which then brought about the development of the famous Wright Whirlwind J3-B through J-6 engines.
Meade and Willgoos left Wright in 1924 to design the first “Wasp” engine and help establish Pratt & Whitney Aircraft.
Please contact Nick Hurley, Museum Curator, by email if you have any information or comments on the Lawrance J-1.