The volunteers of the John W. Ramsay Research Library work to collect, preserve, catalog, and share information which embodies the history and technology of aerospace, in support of the New England Air Museum.
The library is open every Tuesday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. All research indexes are located in the Reading Room, while the stacks are open only to library personnel. Patrons may request any item, which will be brought to the Reading Room for use. Patrons doing personal research inside the library must have paid museum admission or be museum members.
The all-volunteer library staff consists of a Coordinator, a Research Librarian, and 15 volunteer staff.
The library occupies about 7,000 square feet on two floors of the Museum's Civil Aviation Hangar.
The collection is organized in the following categories:
- AVIATION BOOKS - Approximately 20,000.
- TECHNICAL MANUALS - Approximately 10,000 manuals and pilot's operating handbooks.
- AVIATION PERIODICALS - Approximately 97,000 items with several hundred titles.
- REFERENCE FILES - Approximately 280 linear feet covering 740 aviation topics.
- AUDIO/VIDEO MATERIALS - Over 1000 DVDs and VHS tapes, 350 audio tapes, and approximately 730,000 images on NASM videodiscs.
- PHOTOGRAPHS - Approximately 21,000 black and white prints and 7,800 slides.
- ARCHIVES - Papers of many New England aviation pioneers, including Burnelli, Whitehead, Wittiman, and Sikorsky, plus historical documents of the Connecticut Aeronautical Historical Association, the New England Air Museum, and other organizations.
Most library holdings are indexed in a single database, which is available in the Reading Room.
You can use this online form here if you have a research question, or wish to donate aviation materials to the library, or you can contact us directly by calling 860-623-3305 X324 during library hours.
Simulators, Demonstrations and Activities
Special Exhibits | Young Visitor Activities
Aircraft Display Collection | Engine Display Collection
Flight Sim Spot | Restoration Program | Research Library