Smith Aircraft Engine
Gift of George F. Smith
Designed and built by George F. Smith of New Britain, Connecticut, this engine is the oldest surviving aircraft engine built in Connecticut. The cylinders were modified from those of a Corbin automobile, the crankshaft was taken from a Franklin automobile, while the aluminum crankcase and off-set connecting rods were Smith's own design. In the summer of 1911, Smith installed his engine in a monoplane which he also designed and built.
This engine is located in the Civilian Hangar as part of the Aviation Pioneers exhibit.