Pratt & Whitney R-1535-96 Twin Wasp Junior
Gift of the Pacific Airmotive Corporation
The R-1535 is perhaps the least known engine in the Pratt & Whitney family of famous Wasp engines and was a smaller version of the R-1830 Twin Wasp. It was developed for the U.S. Navy and was used almost exclusively by the military by both the Army and the Navy in fighters, attack bombers and observation aircraft.
Production continued until 1941 and totaled 2,880 engines. The engine on display powered a Vought SB24-1 "Vindictor" dive bomber of the U.S. Navy. Other aircraft to utilize the R-1535 included:
The engine is located in the Civilian Hangar on the wall near the tail of the DC-3.