Gift of Central Connecticut State University
The A-65-8 is a horizontally opposed, four-cylinder engine intended for use in light civilian and military aircraft. It was introduced in 1939 by Continental Motors Corp. of Muskegon, Michigan, with over 8,000 engines sold in the first two years. Thousands more were built after December 7, 1941 for the armed forces and was part of the military designation O-170 which also included the A-50, A-75 and A-80 variants.
Aircraft that used the A-65 include:
The engine is located in the Civilian Hangar near the DC-3.