Pratt & Whitney R-1830-86 Twin Wasp
Gift of Pratt & Whitney Aircraft
Produced from 1932 until 1951, the remarkable Twin Wasp was one of the most widely used aircraft engines in aviation history. It is a two-row, 14-cylinder radial design which, in various models, ranged from 750 to 1,350 hp and powered fifty different transport, fighter, bomber and attack aircraft. Total production, including license built engines was an astounding 173,618. The model 1830-86 produced 1,100 hp with two-stage, two-speed supercharging.
This engine is located in the Military Hangar near the Lockheed F-104C display.
Here are some significant aircraft that were powered by the Twin Wasp: