Armstrong Siddeley was a British engineering group from the first part of the 20th century that produced aircraft, aircraft engines and automobiles. In the 1920's and 1930's they produced a range of low- and mid-power radial aircraft engines that were named after big cats. The "Genet" was a five-cylinder, radial, air-cooled engine of 251 cubic inches displacement The Genet weighed 215 pounds and developed 80 hp for take-off and was used in light aircraft. It was imported from England and sold in the U.S. by Fairchild Airplane Mfg. Co.
This Museum's engine was originally used by the Granville Brothers on their prototype Model A biplane. Ultimately it was replaced by the more powerful Kinner engine. This display engine was also used on other Gee Bee aircraft and later the engine was cut away to show internal parts for instructional purposes.
Other aircraft powered by the Genet II include:
- Avro Avian
- Blackburn Bluebird II
- deHavilland DH.60 Moth
- Farichild 21
- Robinson Redwing
- Southern Martlet
- Westland Widgeon
This engine is located in the Civilian Hangar under the right wing of the Sikorsky VS-44.
If you have any information, or comments on the Armstrong Siddeley Genet, please contact
||5-cylinder, air-cooled, radial engine
||251 cu. in.
Engine Collection Index