|Type:||9-cylinder, air-cooled, radial, piston|
|Displacement:||1,344 cu. in.|
|Power Output:||420 hp @ 2,000 rpm|
|Location:||Connector between the Military and Civil Hangars|
Courtesy of the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry
Completed on December 24, 1925, the R-1340 was Pratt & Whitney's first engine called the Wasp. It was the most advanced air-cooled radial engine of its time. The Wasp was designed to meet U.S. Navy requirements for powering carrier-based combat aircraft. It easily passed the Navy testing and an order was placed for 200 engines. As Pratt & Whitney states, “It exhibited speed, rate of climb, performance at altitude and reliability that revolutionized American aviation, shattering one record after another. Soon it dominated Navy and Army Air Force fighter planes.”
The “C” was a redesigned, improved and strenghtened engine to meet the arduous operational requiements of commercial airline service. It powered such aircraft as the Ford 5AT Trimotor, the Sikorsky S-38, the Lockheed Vega, the Boeing P-12/F4B, and the Vought O2U Corsair.
Wasp engines powered approximately 100 different experimental and production aircraft and it was produced fromn 1925 until 1960 with nearly 35,000 engines manufactured.
Please contact Nick Hurley, Museum Curator, by email if you have any information or comments on the Pratt & Whitney R-1340 Wasp C.